History and heritage
Kent Fire and Rescue Service has a proud
history and heritage, dating back to the early 20th century.
In November 1920 Broadstairs & St Peter's
Fire Brigade acquired the new Leyland motor pump seen here with
brigade personnel. From left to right, back row: A. Bates, A.
Smith, F. Burrows, W. Bayford, P. Moody, F. Summers. Front row: W.
May (Turncock, seconded from the Water Dept), G. Austen
(Superintendent), Capt Keith-Jones (Chief Officer), L. Wilson, W.
Jarman, F. Day, W. Brown, W. May.
But it was in 1948, in the aftermath of World War
II, when Kent Fire Brigade was officially formed by a merger
between the County of Kent and the City and County Borough of
Canterbury fire brigades, that the seed of the service as we
know it today came into being.
The brigade took over 79 fire stations from the National Fire
Service, and managed them until 1974 when local government
reorganisation saw further changes to the way the brigade was