You are here: Home > History > The Godlands > About the gardens >

About the gardens

The house is set in gardens laid out in 1895, and some of the original planting is still there.

The gardens at The Godlands, Kent Fire and Rescue Service headquarters

The garden was planned and started several years before the house was built in 1895, reflecting the Green family’s interest in plants and plant-collecting. The main garden area is as it was originally laid out, but the alpine hothouses, tennis courts, stables and fruit garden have given way to buildings and car-parking. There is now only limited access to the sunken paths and quarry/rock garden as safety maintenance only takes place in these areas.

In 2005/06 a three-year replanting scheme began. This was designed to encourage wildlife, along with other features like bat-boxes. The new planting has been chosen to fit tough 21st century standards: low maintenance, drought-tolerance and rabbit-resistance, but this still leaves room for some interesting choices. While we can’t restore the garden as it originally was, we have tried hard to respect and build on the intentions of its creators, keeping it growing as a living project.

Site tools

Accessibility

Add This

MyLinks


Values: As an organisation we will always put people first