Being a firefighter is challenging and can involve a number of situations not commonly found in other jobs. Please take a moment to answer these questions before you complete the application form.
Are you prepared to:
- Work at height?
- Work in enclosed spaces?
- Work outdoors?
- Get wet during your work?
- Get hot/cold while working?
- Carry heavy equipment?
- Work unsociable hours?
- Work in situations where you may see blood, or seriously injured and dead people?
- Deal sensitively with people in difficult situations?
- Carry out prevention tasks?
- Talk to people in the local community about fire safety?
- Are you 18 or over at the time of applying?
- Are you physically fit?
- Can you be operationally ready within five minutes of a station either from home or work location?
- Can you work for us at same times/patterns as we have stated we need at that specific station?
- Will you be able to commit the time to train? (This may mean occasionally taking leave from your main employment)
- Have you discussed your application with your current (primary) employer?
- Have you stated whether you will be turning out for your home or your work address?
If you answered no for any of the questions above, we strongly suggest that you think seriously about whether being a firefighter is right for you.