Glass ornament starts fire in Tunbridge Wells flat
Kent Fire and Rescue Service responded to reports of a fire in a second floor flat in Sherwood Road, Tunbridge Wells shortly before 11am.
A neighbour had spotted smoke coming from a friend’s window and phoned 999. Two fire engines were immediately sent arriving at the property within minutes of receiving the call. Firefighters went into the flat and found the smoke alarms sounding and the lounge heavily smoke logged, which they ventilated.
The resident was out at the time but crews rescued her pet rat.
The fire is believed to have started after a glass ornament was left on the window ledge reflecting the sunlight onto curtains, which started smouldering. The fire destroyed the curtains which fell to the floor and caused a small amount of heat damage to the back of the sofa.
Crews also visited neighbouring properties delivering safety advice.