Smoke detectors alert Rochester family to chip pan fire
Rochester residents have their working smoke alarms to thanks for alerting them to a chip pan fire this evening (Tuesday). Four adults and a baby were upstairs in the Cross Street property when the smoke detectors sounded, giving them the precious time needed to get out to safety.
Fire crews arrived within minutes of receiving the 999 call to find the father had removed the burning pan to the garden, using a damp cloth to beat the flames and to extinguish fire travelling up the kitchen wall.
Fortunately, no one was injured but fire crews are reminding people if there is a fire in your home, close the door if you can, leave the property and phone 999. Please do not try to tackle the fire yourself or remove items that are on fire, leave it to firefighters, who have the training and equipment to tackle fires safely.
Leaving any cooking unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results, especially if you’re cooking with hot oil. It can overheat and ignite very quickly, even the smallest distraction could lead to a fire in a matter of moments. Always stand by your pan and keep looking while your cooking.