Canterbury kitchen fire sparks safety warnings
KFRS crews were called to a kitchen fire in St Andrews Close, Canterbury. The occupant was alerted by the heat detector sounding but suffered light smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by ambulance staff. Fire crews extinguished the fire using breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet. They also used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.
The fire was believed to have been caused by leaving cooking unattended. KFRS firefighters are taking the opportunity to highlight the dangers and remind everyone that leaving cooking unattended can cause a fire. Tips include:
- Don't leave pans on the hob when you're not around. Take them off the heat if you have to leave the kitchen and switch off the hob
- If a pan catches fire turn off the heat and allow it to cool completely
- Don’t try to move the pan if it is on fire
- It’s safer to leave firefighting to the professionals, leave the room and close the door on the fire. Get everyone out of your home and call the fire service on 999
Saint Andrews Close