Woman injured tackling chip pan fire in Chatham
Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) has issued a safety warning after a woman was injured while tackling a chip pan fire this morning.
Fire crews were called to reports of a fire in Spitfire Close, Chatham at 7.27am and arrived to find the woman, thought to be in her early 40's had suffered minor burns to her arms, hands and face. Firefighters administered first aid and oxygen before handing her into the care of the ambulance service, who took her to hospital for precautionary checks.
KFRS were quickly able to extinguish the small fire using a hose reel.
It is believed that on discovering the pan alight the woman attempted to carry it into the garden and poured water onto the fire. If you are unlucky enough to have a chip pan fire, please don't attempt to carry a burning pan and never use water on a hot oil fire. The two do not mix!
Turn off the heat, if it's safe to do so - but please don't lean over the pan to reach the controls. Try to remove all oxygen by covering the flame with a lid or baking tray. Then leave your home, closing internal doors behind you and phone the fire service on 999. Firefighters have the training and protective clothing to extinguish fires safely.