Electrical fault in airing cupboard sparks fire in Aylesham home
Firefighters responded to a fire in a first floor bedroom in Cornwallis Avenue, Aylesham this evening.
The residents, a couple and their two children were home when the fire broke out and did exactly the right thing in leaving their home and alerting the fire service.
Fortunately, two off-duty firefighters from Aylesham spotted the blaze and rushed to assist using extinguishers and garden hoses, the pair successfully managed to prevent the fire going into the roof of the two-storey house prior to their colleagues arriving shortly after.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the airing cupboard. It destroyed the bedroom but due to the residents closing the internal doors as they left their home, the damage was contained to the bedroom.
Firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet and positive pressure ventilation fan to tackle the fire. After extinguishing the blaze, they assisted the family salvaging items from their home.
Crews are likely to remain at the property damping down until around 10.15pm.