Firefighters attended a chimney fire in Clarendon Street, Dover, shortly after 7pm. The fire is believed to have started accidentally due to a large amount of wood being burnt in an open fire. Fire crews used a fire bucket, stirrup pump, chimney gear, short extension ladder and thermal imaging camera to tackle the fire. They also gave the resident safety advice including advising on the regular sweeping and cleaning of the chimney by a certified chimney sweep. This can be as much as three times in the winter but at least once a year - regardless of the fuel type you burn. Keeping chimneys and flues clean and well maintained will reduce the likelihood of your chimney catching fire.
You can sign up for the free Kent Fire and Rescue Service clean sweep email alert to receive an email to remind you to get your chimney swept and properly maintained.