Firefighters called to small oven fire in Chatham
Kent Fire and Rescue Service responded to reports of a fire in Burma Road, Chatham just before 11.30am. Two fire engines were sent and discovered that the resident had used a damp towel to smother the small fire prior to their arrival.
After ensuring the fire was completely out, firefighters used small tools to disconnect the gas cooker from the mains gas and electric, as it had been damaged by heat. They also removed it from the property.
The fire is believed to have started accidentally as a result of a build-up of fat in the oven, which caught alight while the resident was cooking. Fire crews fitted working smoke alarms in the property and gave the resident safety advice.
It's a miserable day, why not give yourself and your oven a bit of a festive workout especially if it's seen a lot of action over Christmas. Give it a clean and help keep those you care about safe from fire.