Fire destroys Gillingham bedfroom
Two Gillingham residents phoned 999 just before 1am, after fire broke out in a first floor bedroom in Christmas Street.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service’s emergency control room immediately despatched two fire engines, which arrived at the property within minutes to find the occupants waiting safely outside.
A covering jet was used while the breathing apparatus team went into the house and extinguished the fire with a high pressure hose reel.
A thermal imaging camera and special fan were also used to tackle the blaze and crews worked hard to successfully prevent the fire from spreading to neighbouring properties.
The blaze is believed to have started accidentally by smoking materials and destroyed the bedroom. There was also severe smoke logging to the first floor of the house but fortunately, the occupants had working smoke alarms and escaped uninjured.
Firefighters will be revisiting the area today offering fire safety advice to neighbouring properties.