Extension cable sparks fire in Ashford
Kent Fire and Rescue Service attended a small fire in a bedroom in Acorn Close, Kingsnorth. Crews were sent shortly after 4am and arrived to find that the resident, who had been alerted to fire by his working smoke alarms, had used a duvet to smother the small fire and a garden hose.
Most people have extension leads in their homes, which they use to increase the number of appliances that they can plug into a wall socket. However, although there is space to plug in a number of electrical appliances, this does not mean it is always safe to do so.
KFRS advises that you:
Don’t overload electrical adaptors by plugging too many appliances into one socket, especially those with a high electrical current rating such as kettles, irons and heaters.
Turn off any electrical appliances that you are not using, particularly at night, when a fire can quickly spread unnoticed and cause more danger and damage
Have smoke alarms on every floor of your home to keep you and your loved ones safe. Test them regularly so that you know they will work should you need them.