Downlighter sparks fire in East Peckham home
An East Peckham resident did exactly the right thing last night after she became aware of a strange smell in her Hale Street home but was unable to locate where the smell was coming from.
After phoning 999 at around 9.50pm, she left the property with her two children and two dogs to wait for Kent Fire and Rescue Service to arrive.
Two fire engines were quickly on the scene, where crews discovered two upstairs rooms were heavily smoke logged. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to locate the heat source in the kitchen ceiling believed to have been sparked by a downlighter. It is thought that it had been smouldering for some time, allowing smoke to percolate up through the skirting boards into the rooms above.
Crews used small tools to cut away an area of the kitchen ceiling and a hose reel to put the fire out. They also spent time cutting away and damping down, exposing floorboards in the bathroom above to ensure the fire had not spread.
Crew Manager, Glenn Emery said: “Fortunately, the family noticed the smell when they did. Had the fire started during the night when they were asleep, the outcome could have been very different as there were no smoke alarms in the property.
“Working smoke alarms really are a must-have for any home as they can potentially save you and your family’s lives. We provide free home safety advice, please give us a call on 0800 923 7000 and help keep your home and family safe."
Firefighters fitted working smoke alarms in the house and gave the family fire safety advice before leaving the property just before midnight.