Two fire engines were sent to Wells Way, Faversham just before 5pm, after the occupant reported a fire in a bedroom and left the property.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the bungalow and used a high pressure hose reel to put the fire out and a special fan to clear smoke from the property. A thermal imaging camera was also used to check for fire spread.
The fire is believed to have been smouldering for up to a couple of hours before it finally caught fire and was caused as a result of refracted sunlight onto bedding. Fortunately, the property had working smoke alarms, fitted by Faversham's firefighters during a safe and well visit last April.
Crews left the property around 7.15pm.
Crew Manager, Wayne Burney, said: "We provide free safe and well visits to help residents who are most vulnerable to the risk of fire stay safe and independent in their own homes.
"The visits are arranged at a time convenient for you and usually take around 45 minutes and includes the fitting of free smoke alarms where necessary, as well as vital advice to help you stay safe and well."
Please call our safe and well visit team on 0800 923 7000 during normal office hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org for some home safety advice or to see if you’re eligible for a free visit from our team.
Our staff always carry official identification and you can contact us to check that they are a genuine employee of Kent Fire and Rescue Service.