Elderly woman given oxygen after electric heater fire in Crockenhill
Firefighters were called after plastic accidentally fell onto an electric heater sparking a fire in a Crockenill home. Fortunately the home had working smoke alarms which sounded, alerting the resident to the fire.
The elderly woman placed a dry towel over the heater and isolated the power. She was advised by Kent Fire and Rescue Service's emergency control room staff to leave her home until fire crews arrived.
Firefighters went into the smoke-filled lounge and extinguished the small fire with a hose reel jet. A positive pressure ventilation fan was used for smoke clearance.
The woman believed to be in her early 80's, was given oxygen therapy by firefighters. They also provided safety advice to her and neighbouring homes.