Kent Fire and Rescue Service responded to a chimney fire in Henwood Green Road, Pembury at 11.17pm. The fire was caused by a large build up of nesting material above the register plate in the hearth. A chimney register plate is used to block the opening of a chimney, but allows the flue pipe to pass through into the chimney or into a chimney flue liner.
Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera, a stirrup pump, chimney gear and small tools to tackle the fire and advised the resident to get the chimney swept and inspected.
When did you last have the flue swept? Has it been tested for smoke integrity to ensure that no cracks or faults have developed and that dangerous gases are unable to escape? Why not sign up to our free clean sweep alert to get a reminder in the summer to get your chimney swept and properly maintained.
Henwood Green Road