Firefighters attended a fire in a ground floor toilet of a property in the Pantiles, after the manager phoned 999. Staff and guests were evacuated from the five-storey building and crews arrived to find smoke issuing.
Wearing breathing apparatus, they successfully managed to isolate the fire to one room and carried out a full search of the ground floor with thermal imaging cameras, before clearing smoke and fumes with a special fan.
A man thought to be in his 70’s was handed into the care of South East Coast Ambulance Service. Kent Police were also assisting at the scene.
The room was approximately 20 per cent damaged by fire, the rest of the room and ground floor had smoke damage.