Chip pan fire in Hoo house
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a property in Wall Close, Hoo near Rochester. On arrival crews were met by a neighbour who informed them that a chip pan was on fire in the kitchen at the rear of the property. Using breathing apparatus firefighters entered the home with a fire blanket to extinguish the fire. The chip pan was extinguished and removed outside, a ventilation fan was used to clear smoke. Crews administered oxygen therapy to a female occupant who was suffering from smoke inhalation. She checked by ambulance crew. Crews installed two new smoke detectors to the property as the originals weren't working.
The incident has urged firefighters to issue a warning about the dangers of not having working smoke alarms in your property. Smoke alarms save lives and should be tested weekly. If you need fire safety advice - please call our home safety team on 0800 923 7000, you can also check to see if you're eligible for a free safe and well visit from KFRS.