Cooking safety warning after kitchen fire
Firefighters are warning residents to take extra care when cooking after an unattended oil pan caught fire at a house in Vines Lane, Hildenborough, near Tonbridge, today.
A working smoke alarm sounded and alerted the occupant to the blazing pan, however, as she attempted to move it away from the extractor unit, the fire spread to the flooring and a kitchen cupboard. At this point, the occupant quickly left the house and raised the alarm, closing the kitchen door behind her.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property. The woman was given first aid by crews after breathing in some smoke, but did not need an ambulance.
Watch Manager Danny Barrett said: "Our advice to anyone finding themselves in a similar situation would be to avoid moving the pan, as this could result in a serious injury. Instead, turn off the cooker, only if is safe to do so, and get out of the property as soon as you can, closing internal doors behind you. As this incident highlights, never leave cooking unattended as a fire can break out sooner than you realise.
"It's fortunate that the house had working smoke alarms, and the occupant's actions in closing the kitchen door on her way out, definitely reduced the spread of smoke in the house."
For further cooking safety advice visit www.kent.fire-uk.org/cooking