Hoverboard catches fire in Ashford
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to an Ashford home, after a hoverboard toy that was left charging on the landing caught alight.
The resident who was in the house at the time with her children and their friend, heard a crackling noise at around 9.20pm and went to investigate. After spotting the fire, she switched the power off, got everyone out of the house and phoned the fire service.
Firefighters were quickly on the scene and went into the property wearing breathing apparatus. They used a high pressure hose reel to put the fire out and a special fan to clear the smoke and fumes caused by the burning plastic.
The landing had fire damage and the first floor of the property was badly smoke damaged.
Make sure electrical goods have a British or European safety mark on them when you buy them. If it doesn't have one, it could be a fire hazard
Only buy hoverboards from trusted sources
If possible charge them on a surface that is fire proof such as a stone/concrete floor
Avoid leaving them on charge for long periods of time – especially if you’re asleep or out of the house.