Woman treated for smoke inhalation in Canterbury
A woman in her early 20’s was treated for minor smoke inhalation after a small cooking fire in Giles Lane, Canterbury. It is believed the woman had left a small amount of cooking oil in a pan and was alerted to the fire when the smoke alarms in the property sounded. She returned to the room and put a pan of water over the small fire.
Fortunately, the woman was lucky to have escaped serious injury because adding water to a fire involving hot oil can be extremely dangerous.
The safest thing to do if you discover a fire in your home is to turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so, get out of the property, closing the internal doors on your way out and phone 999.
Firefighters were called at around 1.16pm, arriving on the scene within minutes but found the fire in the third floor kitchen was out when they arrived. They used a special fan to clear smoke from the property.
The fire caused the electrics to trip, which isolated the heat source. The woman was given a precautionary check by South East Coast Ambulance Service but was not taken to hospital.