Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of smoke inside a flat in East Hill, Dartford. Paper left on an electric hob had caught fire and smoke had spread throughout the property. Smoke alarms alerted the residents and they were able to put the small fire out with water from the kitchen sink. They then left the property to ensure they didn't inhale anymore smoke.
Watch Manager John Allwright said: "The residents had accidentally turned the electric hob on after a night out. They went to bed not realising it was on and the next thing they knew the smoke alarm was sounding and the flat was filled with smoke. If they hadn't of had a working smoke alarm, this small hob fire could have escalated into something much more serious.
"It's so important to have working smoke alarms in your home, and we recommend you check they're working once a week. It takes a second to do, and it could save your life."