Discarded cigarette believed to have caused Folkestone house fire
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of smoke coming from a three-storey property in Bournemouth Road, Folkestone. Two fire engines and a height vehicle attended and firefighters discovered a fire on the top floor which had started to spread to the roof. Wearing breathing apparatus, crews used a hose reel jet, a main jet and water from a hydrant to extinguish the flames, before removing roof tiles to reveal any hotspots. The fire is believe to have started accidentally from a discarded cigarette. There were no reported injuries.
Leanne McMahon, Group Manager for Community Safety, said: "It's so important to properly stub out and dispose of cigarettes. Use a heavy ashtray which can't tip over easily and is made of a material that won't burn - a sturdy metal ashtray is best. It's also a good idea to put ashtrays outdoors before you go to bed."
For more smoking safety advice, visit - www.kent.fire-uk.org/your-safety/home-safety/what-are-the-risks/smoking/
Special and Support vehicles