Fryer fire at Sheerness cafe
Firefighters were called to deal with a small fire in the kitchen of a café in Rose Street, Sheerness. The occupants had tried to put out the fire themselves using a fire extinguisher and fire blanket, before isolating the power to the appliance and leaving the property. Crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the building and put out the blaze, involving a commercial electrical deep fat fryer, using a dry powder extinguisher. They used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the kitchen and ground floor of the property. The fryer was damaged by the fire and there was some slight smoke logging. There were no injuries. The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused due to an electrical fault.