Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Smoke alarms alert woman to house fire

Publication date
18 June 2013
News release text
An Istead Rise resident has her smoke alarms to thank for providing the early warning needed, after fire broke out in her home just before 9.30am this morning (Tuesday). 
 
When the smoke alarms sounded in the Little Croft dorma bungalow, the woman who was upstairs at the time, did exactly the right thing - got out of her home to safety. 
 
Meanwhile, neighbours who had also heard the alarms and seen black smoke billowing out of her kitchen phoned the fire service. 
 
Thames-side Crew Manager, Rob Parkin, said: “We got to the property within five minutes of receiving the call and were met with thick, acrid smoke that filled the ground floor of the bungalow from a fast developing fire.” 
 
Two fire engines were sent to the property and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze with a hose reel. A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the property of smoke, while a thermal imaging camera was used to check for fire spread and hot spots behind kitchen cupboards and kitchen appliances. 
 
Rob added: “This woman had a very lucky escape, without the working smoke alarms it could have been a very different story. Everyone should make sure they have working smoke alarms in their homes and that they test them regularly. They are the most valuable piece of life-saving equipment in any home. 
 
“I would also recommend that you make basic checks around the home to ensure that all electrical items are safely installed. If you suspect an item to be damaged or faulty, or you’re unsure, contact a qualified electrician to check it for you.” 
 
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the kitchen and caused extensive damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the ground floor of the property. Crews left the property at around 11.00am. 
 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon