Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Woman suffers burns after tackling a chip pan fire

Publication date
11 June 2013
News release text
Pouring water on a chip pan fire has left a Dartford woman with burns to her hand after fire broke out in her home just before 8pm last night (Monday 10 June). 
 
Two fire engines from Dartford were called to the house in Watling Street and arrived within three minutes of the 999 call. 
 
Dartford Crew Manager, Gary Miller, said: “It appears that after discovering the pan had caught fire, the householder attempted to carry the burning pan of hot oil over to her kitchen sink and tried to put out the flames with water – causing it to flare up. Fortunately it missed her face but she burnt her left hand. The woman then applied a damp tea towel over the pan and managed to extinguish the fire. 
 
“A moment’s distraction while cooking can have disastrous consequences. Most cooking fires are the result of food catching on fire after being left for too long on the hob or under the grill. Always stand by your pan and never attempt to tackle a chip pan fire using water. If the oil has overheated; turn the heat off if it’s safe to do so, cover it with a lid and leave to cool down. If a fire has started, get everyone out of your home, closing the doors as you leave and call the fire service for help.” 
 
Fire crews administered first aid before handing over the duty of care to a paramedic. The woman and her daughter suffered slight smoke inhalation and went to hospital for precautionary checks. 
 
The fire caused damage to the cooker extractor fan. Crews ventilated the property and checked for hot spots before leaving the property at around 9.30pm. 
 
Gary added: "For more fire safety advice, call us from landlines on 0800 923 7000 and we’ll explain what we can do to help you stay safe from fire in your home or go to www.3breaths.info for further information."
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon