Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Man hurt after camping stove explosion in Whitstable

Publication date
31 May 2013
News release text
Firefighters are warning residents to take care with camping stoves and portable barbecues after an incident in Whitstable this afternoon (31 May) left a man needing medical treatment. 
 
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called at 1.57pm to the green at Westgate Terrace after reports that a disposable gas cylinder had exploded. One fire engine was sent to the scene where they found the stove was smouldering. 
 
Whitstable Crew Manager Darren Dennis said: “We believe the family were on a day trip from Sheerness and had set up there portable gas stove for a cup of tea but ten minutes later, the cylinder exploded causing burns to the man’s arm and jaw. 
 
“He was initially given treatment at a nearby medical centre which our fire crews assisted with before paramedics arrived. This incident highlights how careful people need to be with any sort of portable heating or cooking equipment and we urge caution over the use as the warmer weather encourages more people outside.” 
 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon