Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Lamp sparks bedroom fire

Publication date
30 April 2013
News release text
A Hythe resident had a lucky escape this morning after fire broke out in his bedroom. 
 
Fire crews from Hythe and Folkestone were called to a bungalow in Redbrooks Way at 12.38am after the homeowner, smelt burning. He went to investigate and discovered his bedding was on fire, closed the bedroom door, got out of his home and phoned Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS). 
 
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels to extinguish the blaze, which caused about 30-40 per cent damage to the bedroom. A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the property of smoke. 
 
Hythe Crew Manager, Paul Friend, said: “It appears a lamp had been left on and was touching the mattress and bedding, causing it to overheat and catch alight. 
 
“Fortunately, the man was awake at the time and had a very lucky escape as the property didn’t have smoke alarms. I cannot stress enough the importance to firstly fit smoke alarms and second make sure they are working, tested and batteries are replaced when required. They really are the single most important piece of safety equipment in your home.” 
 
Crews fitted working smoke alarms before leaving the property 
 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon