Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Kitchen warning after Ashford cooker fire

Publication date
19 April 2013
News release text
A quick snack of cheese on toast led to a callout for Ashford fire crews this afternoon after a woman left her cooking unattended under the grill and it caught light. 
 
Two fire engines were sent to the house in Oak Tree Road shortly after 2pm today (19 April) where they found the cooker alight. 
 
Ashford Watch Manager Mark Thomas said: “We believe the woman had put cheese on toast under the grill but then went to talk to a neighbour. Fortunately they heard the smoke alarm sounding and she quickly called us out. This shows how easily unattended cooking can potentially lead to a serious incident in the kitchen but it also once again proves the worth of smoke alarms and we hope it serves as a reminder to others.” 
 
The cooker was slightly damaged and there was light smoke damage. The woman – who is believed to be in her 50s – was unharmed. 
 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon