Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Crews issue advice following conservatory fire

Publication date
30 March 2013
News release text
A man has been treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a conservatory on Hedge Place Road in Stone last night (29 March). 
 
The fire is believed to have started when an extension lead, which had not been fully unwound before use, overheated and caught alight. Flames then spread into the roof of the conservatory, laterally moving to affect the neighbouring property’s extension. 
 
Crews arrived on the scene shortly after 11:30pm and tackled the fire with a high pressure hosereel. A positive pressure ventilation fan was also used to remove smoke from both properties. 
 
The conservatory where the fire started was completely destroyed, while around 20 per cent of the neighbouring extension was also destroyed by the blaze. Both homes where affected by smoke damage. 
 
The man was given a precautionary check but did not need to go to hospital. 
 
Dartford Crew Manger, Robert Chilmaid, said: “It’s important that extension leads are fully unwound before use to help prevent heat building up within the wire. Always read safety instructions carefully, and ensure that electrical appliances are in good condition before use. 
 
“As we have seen by this incident, fires can break out with very little warning. For this reason, I would strongly recommend that homeowners fit and maintain a smoke alarm to alert you to a fire in your home.” 
 
If you notice any of the following danger signs contact a qualified electrician: 
 
Hot plugs and sockets 
Fuses that blow for no obvious reason 
Lights that flicker 
Brown scorch marks on sockets and plugs 
Electrical appliance safety tips 
 
One appliance, one socket 
Always use the correct fuse 
Faulty electrical appliances may lead to a fire - repair or replace 
Check electric appliances that have not been used for some time 
Always use a qualified electrical contractor 
Unplug all appliances not designed to be left on except those that are meant to be permanently switched on (like the fridge or DVD recorder) 
Don't run leads or cables under carpets or rugs – you won't be able to see if they become damaged 
Avoid buying second-hand electrical goods 
If you have to use an adapter, use a fused ‘in line’ type. 
Avoid multi-way adapters and overloading electric sockets by using several adapters as they may overheat. 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon