Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Woman’s lucky escape from candle fire

Publication date
22 March 2013
News release text
Firefighters are warning about the dangers of leaving candles unattended following a resident’s lucky escape from a fire in Rosedale Road, Margate in the early hours of this morning (Friday). 
 
Crews were called just after 2am to a fire in the bedroom on the first floor of a two-storey building, and tackled the fire wearing breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet. 
 
The woman, who had been unwell and asleep downstairs, was woken by her smoke alarm sounding. She went to investigate and on seeing black smoke, phoned the fire service before getting out of her home to safety. 
 
Crew Manager Andy Wright said: “Luckily the fire had not spread and we were able to put it out quickly. However, the resident might not have been so fortunate without the smoke alarm providing the early warning needed and for this reason, I would recommend all residents have working smoke alarms in their homes.” 
 
The fire is believed to have been caused by a candle left burning on top of the television in a bedroom, destroying the TV and causing smoke damage to the room. 
 
Andy added: “This fire also highlights the need to make sure that candles are never left unattended and are always extinguished properly after use.” 
 
Following this incident crews gave the occupants fire safety advice. 
 
Please follow these simple tips when using scented oil burners, tea lights or candles: 
 
Never leave them unattended 
Always place them on a heat resistant surface 
Never place on a TV, stereo, bath or other plastic surface 
Don’t let anything fall into the hot wax 
Keep them well away from anything that could easily catch fire e.g., never place under a shelf or near curtains 
Keep them away from draughts 
Keep them away from children and pets 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon