Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Washing machine blamed for fire

Publication date
13 March 2013
News release text
A Gravesend couple’s home escaped serious damage this morning (Wednesday) after they were alerted to flames by a smoke alarm sounding. 
 
The blaze, believed to have been caused by a fault in a washing machine, was discovered by the homeowners who were at home at the time and managed to escape uninjured to a neighbour’s home. 
 
Two fire engines from Thames-side were sent to the two-storey terraced house in Clarence Place just after 8am. Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus went into the property and extinguished the fire with a hose reel. They used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke before removing the washing machine from the property. 
 
Crew Manager, Ray Kilbourne, said: “Hearing the smoke alarm sounding helped this couple get out of their home safely and call the fire service. 
 
“Fires can break out in electrical appliances and power outlets with very little warning. For this reason I would strongly recommend that residents fit working smoke alarms on each floor of their homes and test them regularly, they really can save your life.” 
 
A third of the kitchen was fire damaged and the whole house was heavily smoke logged. A Red Cross Victim Support Unit was also sent to assist the residents. 
 
As is normal following any accidental fires in the home, firefighters will be issuing safety information to residents living nearby. 
 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon