News release text
Dartford firefighters are warning of the dangers of leaving candles and tea lights unattended following a house fire in Dartford last night (Wednesday 6 February).
Two crews from Dartford were sent to the house in Turner Court just before 11pm. They used a hose reel to tackle the small fire and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the house of smoke.
The fire is believed to have been caused after a woman thought to be in her early 60’s, had left a tea light burning on the television before she went to bed.
Dartford Watch Manager, Dave Read, said: “The property had a working smoke alarm which woke the woman. On discovering the fire she attempted to extinguish it by throwing water over it. Unfortunately, this made the laminate flooring wet and she slipped, cutting her arm. She also suffered slight smoke inhalation.
“Luckily the woman was still able to get out of her property to safety but had she been seriously injured during the fall, the outcome could have been very different. Just three breaths of fire smoke can be enough to knock you unconscious.”
Paramedics carried out precautionary checks at the scene and treated the woman for minor cuts.
Dave added: “That’s why its vital to have working smoke alarms in your home, they give the early warning needed to fire but never take chances trying to tackle it yourself, get out, stay out and call the fire service. Your possessions are replaceable, your life isn’t.“
Fire crews fitted an additional smoke alarm in the property before leaving just after 11.30pm.