News release text
The importance of having working smoke alarms in the home was demonstrated yet again last night (2 January) when a Shoreham family escaped a serious fire in their home.
Two fire engines were sent to the blaze in Boakes Meadow just before 6.30pm and went into heavily smoke filled house wearing breathing apparatus. They used a thermal imaging camera to identify the source of the fire and to check for further fire spread and then quickly extinguished the blaze using two hose reel jets and a positive pressure ventilation fan.
The homeowner and her two teenage daughters and son managed to get out of the property with their two dogs and cat.
Sevenoaks Watch Manager, Danny Barrett, said: “Fortunately, the woman realised how serious the fire was and closed the internal doors to prevent the fire spreading. It was incredibly fierce and the heat made the plaster in other rooms come away from the walls.”
The fire is believed to have started in an oil filled boiler. It destroyed the boiler room and caused severe smoke damage to the ground floor, rendering it uninhabitable. The Red Cross Victim Support Unit also attended to offer the family some practical help following the fire.
Danny added: “Everyone is at risk of fire but having working smoke alarms will provide the early warning needed if you are unlucky enough to have a fire in your home.”