News release text
Two overnight kitchen fires have prompted firefighters to issue safety advice to residents.
One fire engine was sent to Norton Crescent, Tonbridge at 5.45pm yesterday, (Wednesday 2 January) after the grill caught light. No one was hurt but 20 per cent of the kitchen was damaged by fire while the rest of the house had light smoke damage.
Later the same evening, crews were called to Nine Acres, Kennington at 11.17pm after a chip pan was left unattended. While the pan didn’t catch light, it caused a considerable amount of smoke. Both residents suffered smoke inhalation, the man was also treated for burns to his left hand, after attempting to move the chip pan, which was full of hot oil.
Head of Community Safety, Stuart Skilton, said: “Unattended pans and a build up of fat and food residue on cooking appliances are common causes of fires that can have serious consequences. If you leave the kitchen, turn the heat off, fire starts when your attention stops.
“Just three breaths of fire smoke can be fatal, so it’s vital that everyone has working smoke alarms in their homes. We offer free safety advice and services to everyone but there’s a lot you can do to keep yourself safe.”
Watch what you heat and don’t leave cooking unattended
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal
Prevent children accidently turning on electric cookers by switching them off at the main after use
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries weekly
If there is a fire, don’t take risks by tackling it yourself. Get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service