Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Girl’s bedroom gutted by fire

Publication date
19 December 2013
News release text
Fire tore through a family home, gutting a young girl’s bedroom last night, (Wednesday) after a halogen heater was accidentally knocked over. 
 
The girl’s father raised the alarm at 9.23pm after the power tripped in the three bedroom, semi-detached house in Radnor Park Road and he smelt smoke. He rushed up to his sleeping daughter’s bedroom, where he discovered the carpet on fire and quickly evacuated his family out of their home and called 999. 
 
Two fire engines were on the scene within three minutes of receiving the emergency call. Firefighters in breathing apparatus (BA) tackled the well developed fire, using a hose reel jet, while a second BA crew cut away the ceiling to expose hidden voids and ensure there was no fire spread. 
 
Folkestone Watch Manager, Andy Batchelor said: “This family had a very lucky escape, as there was no working smoke alarm on the second floor where the fire started and the battery had been removed from the alarm on the first floor. 
 
“The bedroom was filled with smoke, which can be potentially fatal, just a couple more minutes and the girl would have been breathing it in, which is why it's fortunate that the father was alerted to the blaze before the fumes knocked the young girl out.” 
 
Crews managed to extinguish the blaze just before 10pm but spent a further 30 minutes assisting with salvage work. 
 
The girl’s bedroom, the bathroom and landing were all destroyed by fire and smoke. Only one bedroom on the top floor of the house remained relatively intact because the bedroom door was closed. 
 
Andy added: “The risk of fire in the home is an all year round issue. Don’t let fire ruin your Christmas put fire safety top of your list. fit working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly.” 
 
Crews delivered fire safety advice to neighbouring properties. Call Kent Fire and Rescue Service today to get essential fire safety advice on 0800 923 7000 or visit www.saferwinter.info
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon