Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2014 > December 2014 > Water on hot oil fire destroys kitchen in South Darenth
Water on hot oil fire destroys kitchen in South Darenth

Water on hot oil fire destroys kitchen in South Darenth

7 December 2014

A resident in Holmsdale Hill, South Darenth, had a lucky escape yesterday (Saturday 6 December) when water was used in an attempt to put out a oil fire.

The resident, upon discovering her deep fat fryer had overheated and ignited, placed it in the sink and applied water, causing the fire to flare up. Fortunately, she managed to duck down, avoiding the rapid expansion of the flames, and escape.

Firefighters from Dartford fire station arrived on the scene to find the kitchen alight and all the occupants safely out of the property. Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a main jet and a hose reel jet to tackle the fire, which was contained to the kitchen. However, the rest of the house was heavily smoke logged, requiring use of a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear.

Dartford Crew Manager Gary Miller, said: "This incident is a good example of why when you're cooking, particularly with hot oil, you should never leave it unattended. It only takes a few moments of distraction for a potentially disastrous fire to start.

"The resident was extremely fortunate to have avoided injury while attempting to put the fire out herself using water from the sink. Applying cold water to hot oil causes rapid expansion of the oil, potentially scalding steam from the water as it vaporises, and the possibility of an explosion.

"The advice from Kent Fire and Rescue Service is, as always, 'Get out, stay out and call 999'".

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon