Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2014 > November 2014 > 11 November 2014 - "Switch electrics off when not in use" urge firefighters
11 November 2014 - ''Switch electrics off when not in use'' urge firefighters

"Switch electrics off when not in use" urge firefighters

Example of an electric hob oven

A Gillingham man has his neighbour and working smoke alarms to thank for preventing a serious fire in his Hempstead home this morning.

On hearing the alarms sounding just before 7am, the neighbour phoned 999 and two fire engines from Medway were sent to the two-storey property in Woodpecker Glade.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the small fire, which was caused after the electric hob was accidentally left on, setting fire to an electrical appliance stored on it.

Medway Crew Manager, Shaun Humphries, said: “The fire had been smouldering for a little while before we were alerted, as the resident had already left for work but fortunately the damage was limited. However, it highlights how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home.

“Most weeks we attend fires caused by the storing of paper, tea towels and other items on top of hobs. Please do a final check before you leave home in the morning and unplug all appliances and electrical equipment when not in use, unless they are designed to be left on, like your fridge or freezer.”

Crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke and fumes from the property and left the scene at around 7.40am.

To get free home safety advice or to see if you qualify for a home safety visit please call, please call 0800 923 7000 or email your contact details to home@kent.fire-uk.org You can also get electrical fire safety tips here.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon