Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2014 > November 2014 > 16 November 2014 - Candle to blame for Margate bedroom fire
16 November 2014 - Candle to blame for Margate bedroom fire

Candle to blame for Margate bedroom fire

A Margate family may need re-housing after a candle sparked a fire in a ground floor bedroom this morning (Sunday).

Two fire engines were sent to the two-storey property in Beatrice Road just before 11.30am and were there within minutes of receiving the 999 call. Firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.

Margate Watch Manager, Scott Pearce, said: “Once again the benefits of having a working smoke alarm paid dividends, as it gave the family the precious minutes needed to escape safely.

“In the run up to Christmas it’s easy to overlook potential fire hazards in the home, so it’s vital that proper care is taken to avoid the devastating effects of a fire in your home. A candle flame may be small, but it should be treated like any other flame – with care and never left to burn unattended – especially with young children in the house."

The bedroom and its contents were destroyed by the fire and because the door was left open during the family’s escape, the rest of the house was heavily smoke damaged . Scott added: “Please get into the habit of closing internal doors as this will limit fire spread.”

Crews gave the family and neighbouring properties fire safety advice before leaving the scene at around 1pm.  You can get free advice, call 0800 923 7000 (free from landlines) or email your contact details to home@kent.fire-uk.org

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon