A helpful neighbour suffered minor burns to his hand last night trying to tackle a kitchen fire in Gravesend.
Two fire engines from Thames-side Fire Station were sent to the detached house in Longmead at around 9.30pm. They arrived on the scene within five minutes of receiving the 999 call and found both people had managed to escape to safety, closing the kitchen door behind them.
The fire was quickly extinguished by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus with a hose reel jet. A special fan was also used to clear smoke and fumes from the house.
Watch Manager Danny Turner said: “It appears that oil in a pan overheated and caught alight, damaging the surrounding areas of the kitchen and causing smoke damage throughout the property. Fortunately, neither was seriously hurt but my advice is always keep an eye on what you’re cooking and if you have to leave the room, take the pan off the heat.
“If you are unlucky enough to have a fire in your home, get out, stay out and leave the firefighting to us. The best thing you can do to protect your family is to make sure you have working smoke alarms in your home and an agreed escape plan that everyone in your home knows.”
This incident is the latest in a series of cooking-related fires in the west of the county in recent weeks. Crews were called to homes in Meadowside, Dartford on 7 September, Witches Lane, Riverhead on 21 September, Montgomery Road, South Darenth and Virginia Walk, Gravesend on 5 October and Northview, Swanley on 6 October.
Danny added: “Leaving cooking unattended and misuse of cooking appliances are the biggest cause of kitchen fires. Please take extra care."
You can get free fire safety advice on this website, by calling us on 0800 923 7000 (free from most landlines, mobile charges may vary) or by emailing your contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org