Firefighters have been praised for their efforts in helping to save a home and it’s contents in Queen Street, Paddock Wood by homeowners, Steve and Amanda Holt.
Crews successfully contained the blaze to the front section of the roof of the large three-storey detached property, after fire broke out yesterday afternoon (20 October).
At it’s height, four fire engines and an aerial appliance attended the scene.
Steve said: “Their speed, professionalism and ability working as a team was tremendous and we can’t thank them enough.” Amanda added: “They came within minutes and had they not acted so quickly, we would have lost the whole house. They even went into find our daughter’s teddy bear, the only thing she was concerned about. They also did their utmost to save our possessions, including covering clothes with tarpaulin.”
When crews arrived they were confronted with smoke issuing from the roof at the front of the house, which was undergoing renovation and had scaffolding in place. The occupants were safely accounted for and crews made an immediate start on dealing with the blaze.
Station Manager Lawrence Pater, who was the officer-in-charge as the incident developed, said: “The initial crews who arrived at the scene did an excellent job in supressing the fire. They were able to make use of the scaffolding to quickly reach the roof. Using hand tools, they gained access to the roof void and directed hose reels on to the fire, bringing it under control effectively. This enabled oncoming crews to make an immediate start on salvage operations in the rooms beneath the affected roof, removing some items and covering others to help protect from water damage.”
Although the front roof was severely fire damaged, crews’ efforts successfully prevented the fire spreading to other parts of the property.
The fire is believed to be accidental.