Two fire engines from Folkestone were sent to the basement flat in Trinity Gardens just before 6pm after a neighbour called the fire service. Crews were on the scene within 4 minutes of receiving the 999 call but found the fire, which is believed to have been started by a dehumidifier in an unventilated under-stairs cupboard was already out.
Folkestone Watch Manager, John Howard, said: “Fortunately the smoke alarms did their job and the woman, thought to be in her 80’s with mobility issues, was able to call her neighbours for help. They quickly disconnected the dehumidifier, closed the door on the fire and led the lady to safety.
“It’s vital that everyone has working smoke alarms on every level of their home. It’s also better to be prepared and know what to do if a fire starts in your home. Your first priority should be to get out as quickly as possible. Have an escape plan and make sure everyone in your family knows how to get out.”
Crews used a special fan to clear smoke from the flat. They will also be visiting neighbouring properties to deliver home fire safety advice.
John added: “If you know someone who could benefit from the life-saving assistance which Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) can offer, call us today free on 0800 923 7000. We can provide help to those most likely to be seriously injured or killed as a result of a fire in the home and, where needed, specialist equipment, including fireproof bedding and smoke alarms for visually and hearing impaired people. We can also supply other gadgets such as cooker switches and reminder stickers for residents who have dementia and/or who have become forgetful about turning off the cooker. We can also make recommendations to other support services for further specialist home safety aids.”
Further free fire safety advice is available on this website, by calling (free from landlines) 0800 923 7000 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org