Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2014 > September 2014 > 6 September 2014 - Late night out spells disaster after chip pan fire
6 September 2014 - Late night out spells disaster after chip pan fire

Late night out spells disaster after chip pan fire

Kent Fire and Rescue Service is urging people not to come home and start cooking if they’ve been out drinking alcohol, after an overnight fire in Folkestone.

Two fire engines from Folkestone and Dover were sent to a flat in Pilgrims Springs at 4.32am this morning (Saturday),after a 27-year-old man returned home from a night out and fell asleep on the sofa, after putting a pan of oil on the hob to heat.

Folkestone Watch Manager, Andy Batchelor, said: “Fortunately the man was woken by the smell of smoke and the alarm sounding and was able to get out of the property and call us.”

Firefighters in breathing apparatus, used a hose reel to extinguish the blaze, which destroyed half the kitchen and left the rest of the property smoke damaged. A positive pressure ventilation fan was also used to clear smoke and fumes from the flat.

Andy added: “This man had a lucky escape, if he hadn’t woken when he did, the outcome could have been very different. If you’re planning a night out drinking, get a takeaway or have a cold snack waiting in the fridge, it’s a far safer option.”

The man was given oxygen therapy by crews at the scene before being checked by the ambulance service.

Fire crews were at the flat for approximately an hour and will be returning to deliver home fire safety advice to neighbouring properties later today.

Further free fire safety advice is available on this website, by calling (free from landlines) 0800 923 7000 or emailing home@kent.fire-uk.org

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon