A homeowner from Downswood, Maidstone had a lucky escape after discovering the smell of smoke in their property on Friday morning (4 December).
Kent Fire and Rescue Service sent crews to the property on Cheviot Close, at 7:48am after the resident of the property called 999 concerned by the smell of smoke. Crews used a thermal imaging camera to conduct an extensive search of the property during which a small fire was located in a wall cavity behind the central heating boiler.
Watch manager Howard Dellow said: “Had the owner not reported this fire and it had remained undetected it had the potential to cause significant damage or worse.”
Crews offered the owner of the property safety advice and fitted an additional smoke detector to the first floor. They also replaced the battery in the existing ground floor smoke detector after the battery had been turned around during decorating works.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service continue to suggest that you should have a minimum of one smoke detector per floor of your property.
For further safety information - speak to one of our home safety advisors today - call freephone or email us. All our services are free of charge.”