Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Flaming pitta leads to Broadstairs kitchen blaze

Flaming pitta leads to Broadstairs kitchen blaze

26 February 2015

Pitta-breads

A Broadstairs resident was left puzzled after a fire broke out in her kitchen, thought to have started after an earlier mishap with some burning pitta bread.

Two fire engines were sent to a two-storey home in Cliffside Drive at 12.16pm today (26 February) and crews arrived within four minutes. Firefighters entered the smoke-logged kitchen of the two-storey home in and extinguished a fire in a drawer unit containing tea towels. They used a hose reel jet to put out the blaze and a specialist fan to clear the smoke from the room.

It is thought that another resident may have accidently set fire to one of the tea-towels while retrieving some flaming pitta bread from the oven earlier this morning. Not realising it had caught alight, the towel was returned to the drawer.

Margate firefighter Lee Orton said: "Fortunately, the lady discovered the fire before it took hold of the room. She did exactly the right thing by leaving the property immediately and raising the alarm. Her actions, and the fact that she closed the internal doors on her way out, significantly reduced the damage to her property.

"As this incident highlights, fire can break out when you least expect it. With the majority of house fires starting in the kitchen, we would urge residents to take extra care not to get distracted when cooking and ensure all naked flames are extinguished fully before leaving the room."

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon