Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Kitchen safety warning follows Canterbury fire

Kitchen safety warning follows Canterbury fire

13 February 2015

Firefighters are warning residents to take extra care when cooking and storing items in their kitchens, after a callout to fire this morning (13 February) in Martyrs' Field Road, Canterbury.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus extinguished a blaze involving a freezer that was being stored on an electric hob of the kitchen of the three-storey home.

The fire is thought to have started when residents accidently switched on the hob while using an electric toaster. The heat from the hob then set fire to the freezer.

A couple in their 50s were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics, and the man was taken to hospital for checks after breathing in dry powder from an extinguisher, that he had used to try to put the fire out.

Watch Manger Mark Jones said: "As this incident shows a moments’ distraction can lead to an accidental fire. We would always advise against storing items on top of cookers as accidents can easily happen. However, if it is unavoidable to do this we would warn residents to make sure that they isolate the power to appliance before hand.

"In the unfortunate event of a fire in your home, we would strongly recommend that you do not attempt to tackle it yourself, as this could easily result in injury. The safest thing to do would be to isolate the power, but only if it is safe to do so, then get out, stay out, and call 999 and ask for Kent Fire and Rescue Service. On the way out of your property close as many internal doors as possible with personal safety being paramount."

The Canterbury kitchen fire incident follows an appeal this week by Kent Fire and Rescue Service for residents to be aware of distractions in the kitchen, especially with Valentines Day and Pancake Day coming up and more activity expected in the kitchen.

Earlier this week firefighters assisted with other kitchen related incidents:  

  • On Monday (9 February) a kitchen fire in Upchurch resulted in a family of four being taken to hospital for checks after breathing in smoke. Almost half of the kitchen was damaged by the fire and the rest of the property by smoke after a fire that started on the hob and in the cooker hood.
  • On Sunday (8 February) crews attended the smoke-filled flat of a man in his 70's in Codrington Crescent, Gravesend after he burned some food in his microwave oven. The man was treated for smoke inhalation.

Watch Manager Jones added: "Please take the time to look at our safety tips to ensure you and your family are best protected from fire and know what to do to keep safe, should the unthinkable happen."

 

Upchurch Kitchen fire February 2015
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon