Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2015 > January 2015 > Dartford flat fire prompts crews to ask "What will alert you to a fire in your home?"
Dartford flat fire prompts crews to ask ''What will alert you to a fire in your home?''

Dartford flat fire prompts crews to ask: ''What will alert you to a fire in your home?''

26 January 2015

We all like to think that a fire at home will never happen to us. But are you willing to risk having no warning if the unthinkable happens?

Dartford firefighters are asking residents ensure they have working smoke alarms after attending a heavily smoke-logged flat in Cairns Close just after 10pm last night.

The smoke had also spread to several neighbouring homes though open windows in the building, prompting neighbours to dial 999.

Two fire engines were sent to the scene and dealt with a small fire that appears to have been caused by a pan left unattended on an electric hob in kitchen of the ground floor flat.

Firefighters extinguished a small fire in the pan, which the resident had moved outside of the property. They then used a high-powered fan to blow the smoke out of the property, which significantly reduced the amount of smoke damage.

Watch Manager David Boakes said: “Fortunately, no one was injured, and we were able to clear the majority of the smoke without it causing major damage. However, there were no smoke alarms in the flat, so if neighbours hadn’t noticed the smoke and raised the alarm when they did, this could have had serious consequences for the occupants, due to the lethal smoke generated by the fire.

“I would strongly urge all residents to check that they have a working smoke alarms on each floor of their homes to provide vital early warning of fire, giving you the best chance of escape. Test them today and if they’re not working, please don’t delay in sorting it out, as you never know when you might need them.”

Crews remained at the scene after the fire putting up free smoke alarms and giving safety advice to the residents.

David added: “This fire is also a reminder to everyone to make sure you stay with your cooking and switch off the hob when you have finished, or if have to leave the room, as it is very easy to get distracted.

“Please take the time to look at our safety tips to ensure you and your family are best protected from fire know what to do to keep safe, should the unthinkable happen.”

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon