Firefighters from Sevenoaks were called to a home in Quakers Hall Lane this morning, following reports of a fire.
When crews arrived at the property, they found the woman, believed to be in her late eighties, outside her home with her daughter-in-law who had discovered the blaze and phoned 999.
The fire was started after a scented candle was accidentally left burning on the dining room table, melting a reading lamp. Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to tackle the small fire. A special fan was then used to ventilate the property.
Crew Manager Neil Thornewell from Sevenoaks fire station said: “The house had working smoke alarms but unfortunately the woman, who was hard of hearing, thought it was her alarm clock sounding. It was only when her daughter-in-law stopped by to visit that she became aware of the fire downstairs.
“It is vital that you have the right smoke alarms fitted in your home, so if you know someone who could do with a little extra help to keep safe from fire, show them you care and give us a call on 0800 923 7000. We have alarms designed specifically for the hard of hearing and will come and fit them free of charge.”
Here are a few simple precautions which you should take when using candles in the home:
Candles should be fitted in a candle holder and placed on a non-flammable surface
Do not leave burning candles unattended – especially where they might be knocked over if you have young children or pets in the house
Do not place burning candles close to curtains, bedding or clothing which might catch fire
Do not place burning candles on window sills or on the floor
Extinguish all candles before going to bed
Buy ceramic containers that are well ventilated, containers will get very hot and may make the flame larger and cause it to flare up
Do not move candles when they are alight or while the wax is molten