Ann Millington, Chief Executive (CE) of Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) is thanking firefighters for their efforts after the successful rescue of three people from a Rochester house fire yesterday (21 January).
Four fire engines were sent to the house in Fairway Close after a man heard a smoke alarm sounding; he went to investigate and discovered the tumble dryer was alight. He immediately closed the door on the fire, phoned 999 and told Fire Control that that his disabled mother was trapped upstairs.
When firefighters arrived they were confronted with a well developed fire engulfing the ground floor. They went into the burning home wearing breathing apparatus and carried the mother, thought to be in her late 60’s, and her daughter, believed to be in her mid 40’s, to safety. They also assisted the father, a man in his late 70’s out of his burning home.
Ann said "I cannot praise our firefighters enough. They worked very hard in difficult and challenging conditions to get the family out safely and to stop the fire spreading to neighbouring properties.
"This is a very upsetting incident for the family concerned but the man did everything right when he discovered the blaze and contributed to the successful rescue of his family. We are thankful that their injuries weren’t more serious."
Oxygen therapy was given to three family members and a paramedic who was first on the scene and bravely entered the property in an attempt to help rescue the occupiers. The family were taken to hospital suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke and one woman was treated for burns to her hand.
Ann added: "I would also like to thank a number of other organisations who worked alongside us, helping to ensure a successful outcome for this family, including South East Coast Ambulance Service, Kent Police, Medway Council, MHS Housing and not least of all the British Red Cross who provided valuable emotional and practical support to the family."