Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Woman given oxygen therapy after fire in Folkestone flat

Woman given oxygen therapy after fire in Folkestone flat

8 January 2015

A Folkestone woman was given oxygen therapy by firefighters after a fire in her Shakespeare Terrace home today.

At 10.45am two fire engines from Folkestone Fire Station were sent to the flat after her working smoke detector sounded, raising the alarm.

The fire is believed to have started after a cigarette was accidentally dropped onto towels in a laundry basket. The woman, in her 60’s, breathed in smoke while trying to put the fire out, but didn’t need hospital treatment.

Firefighters arrived at the flat within 8 minutes of receiving the 999 call. They went into the heavily smoke-logged property wearing breathing apparatus and led the woman to safety. Crews made sure the small fire was completely out using a hose reel and cleared smoke from the first floor flat.

Folkestone Crew Manager, Mick Burgess said: "Once again we’ve seen how vital it is to have working smoke alarms in your home and I would urge anyone who doesn’t have them to make it a priority for 2015. They are cheap and so effective, especially when you consider not having them really could cost you your life.

Fire crews will be visiting the local area to offer free fire safety advice following this incident.

Mick added: "If you or someone you know might benefit from some free practical fire safety advice, call us today on 0800 923 7000 and speak to one of our trained advisors. Please also take the time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours, particularly at this time of year to make sure they are warm and safe from fire."

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon